dimanche 31 janvier 2010

What's your favorite movie?



I hate this question. Actually I hate those who ask this question. Because they don’t want to know what movies you like in general. They want to know what is the movie you like the most in the entire universe (including Pandora). They don’t accept no for an answer. They absolutely need an answer and only one.
"I know there may be several, but if someone woke you up in the middle of the night and put a gun to your head, which movie would you choose? "(A very likely situation, knowing that most burglars are moviegoers. It’s common knowledge.)

Normally, I try to avoid having to answer such questions, but when you take film classes there will always be someone to ask, usually with two or three people around who are willing to conduct an endless debate about the quality of your choice.
Or maybe you're talking to this girl with unbelievable cleavage and mini-shorts -which is not difficult to find in LA, and it'd be silly to break the rhythm of your conversation before it takes you... I digress. In short, sooner or later you will have to answer. So I think. And I think Pulp Fiction .
No, it can’t be that. The movie is brilliant ("some serious gourmet shit"), but there are at least 30 minutes that could have been cut. And Tarantino borrows from a lot people. I see the long debate coming from a mile away and I have no time for that. Before Sunset then. No, I'll look like one of those pretentious people who like films that nobody watches where two characters talk to each other for 90 minutes. I keep thinking.

I start to curse myself for having this discussion with this classmate or having told that girl with unbelievable cleavage I studied cinema, until the light started flashing. Truman Show . It's perfect. Everyone has seen it, I see nothing to edit out, I do not get to look pretentious. It's intelligent without being too complex. And as a bonus, it turns out that I actually like it. Voilà. Now my classmates will have nothing to say about my choice and I can finally go home, or the girl with unbelievable cleavage will say she loved the film as well and now we have something in common. The conversation continues on another subject, and then another, eventually leading to... I digress again.

Now a question for you; what's your favorite movie? I mean if someone woke you up in the middle of the night with a gun to you head ...

1 commentaire:

  1. The fact that they are spending so much money to make on movie dont give me the right to say that this movie was bad even if the script was not so fun like " Legion".
    But I'm able to choose my fave movies, even if there are plenty I like.
    - Inglorious Basters
    - Domino ( Keira Knightley is my girl ! )
    - There will be blood
    g2g

    RépondreSupprimer