dimanche 31 janvier 2010

Caution! Overheating brain



I have been taken hostage this past Friday. Taken hostage by 3 members of the fairer sex who forced me to watch Twilight on DVD this weekend. When I woke up (at the end of the film), I found myself in the middle of a discussion about the questionable (to say the least) quality of this film and many others that still earn millions of dollars anyway because apparently people don’t like to think too much when going to movies.

Having miserably lost our debate mainly because I lacked the courage to offend my enemies (what kind of man likes to be on a woman’s bad side?), I make myself feel better by giving you here my 7 reasons why entertainment ≠ total lack of intelligence and/or logic in film.

1. It may sound stupid, but when a friend tells you a story that’s completely uninteresting, devoid of any logic or sense, generally you do not like that. That guy just wasted 10 minutes of your time. Now imagine that your friend’s name is Michael Bay or Roland Emmerich, the story he tells you sometimes lasts up to 2 hours and 30 minutes, and in addition he makes you pay for "honor" to listen. I think you get my point.

2. Because studios know they make mediocre films but continue to do because people will see them anyway. As a film fan, I'd rather vote with my wallet in deciding not to help these films succeed. (For the clever guys thinking it's an encouragement to piracy, we'll have a talk next week).

3. Because although I’m not a Secretary of State or a President, I cannot afford to lose 2 precious hours of my life (we're all going to die at some point, I remind you) on the grounds that I don’t want to think too much. I can afford that even less since this.

4. Did your brain really overwork after Inglorious Basterds, Slumdog Millionaire or The Dark Knight ?

5. Did your brain feel that much better after What Happens in Vegas, 27 Dresses or The Proposal ?

6. If you think the only way to get your dose of special effects is to see Transformers 2, 2012 or Wolverine , watch District 9 . Seriously. Now. Go ahead, I'll wait.

7. Let me summarize. Between classes we skip (we all did), exams we study for on the day before, American Idol, The Messi/Ronaldo, Kobe/Lebron debates, Youtube clips of ninja cats or babies who say "Blood! Not funny! "And finally the parties on weekends, when do our brains actually get so overheated?

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire